Becoming involved in service work is one of the great joys of recovery. Even if you are not (yet!) abstinent, you are welcome to participate in committees. There is always a need for your unique talents and abilities. And getting involved in OA is one way to boost your own recovery.
Ways to become involved if you are a newcomer (or old-timer) include:
- Representing your group at Intergroup, or just helping to set up chairs, arrange literature, etc.
- Attending Intergroup meeting so you can get a feel for what goes on in OA in Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties.
- Participating in a MDKIG committee--we have events and projects all year and there is always something to do.
- Contributing financially.
Attending MDKIG meetings:
All OA members are invited to attend Intergroup meetings. These are the “business meetings” for OA as a whole in our area. The purpose of Miami-Dade and the Keys Intergroup is to serve OA members through an informed group conscience.
Officers, the Past Chair, Committee Chairs, Region 8 Representatives, World Service Delegates, and Intergroup Representatives are voting members. All OA members are welcome to voice their concerns and opinions at Intergroup meetings.
Unless otherwise announced, Miami-Dade Intergroup Meetings are held:
When: The first Saturday of every month from 10:00 AM to 12:00 NOON
Where: Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 464 NE 16th Street, Miami, FL 33132
According to OA’s Seventh Tradition, we are fully self-supporting though our own contribution, declining outside donations. Your contributions to Miami-Dade Intergroup are used to buy literature and fund the convention, special events, outreach programs to compulsive eaters in the community and within our own fellowship, and so much more.
Volunteering for a Committee:
Service is a good way to keep close to the program. There are often vacant positions even newcomers can fill. And everyone, regardless of abstinence, is welcome to work on a committee. If you’d like to be part of a committee or chair a committee, committees are listed on the front of this website. You can come to Intergroup to “throw your hat in the ring” and meet everyone.
Contributing financially to OA:
- Be generous when the basket is passed in meetings. Your donation pays for your group’s rent, literature, and also goes to Intergroup and World Service based on what your group decides. Remember what a binge used to cost!
- Support fundraising events, special events, workshops, etc. A suggested donation for these events is usually mentioned… but we also believe no one should be turned away because of an inability to pay. Often “scholarships” to the convention and other big events are available (we have to pay outside vendors for these).
- Make a donation directly to Intergroup. Make your check payable to “Miami-Dade Intergroup” and send it to: Miami-Dade Intergroup, PO Box 530248, Miami, FL 33153.
You can see where your money goes when you attend Intergroup:
The Treasurer prepares a financial report for every Miami-Dade Intergroup monthly meeting. In the treasurer’s report you can see monies received, spent and the balance in the bank.